Question:
Hanging pictures on a sheet rocked wall...what's up...?
yoga guy
2007-12-21 03:11:42 UTC
I'm trying to hang a picture on a sheet rocked wall and I keep hitting something behind the sheet rock that "rejects" my nail. It is not a wooden stud. My nail kind of "bounces" off this stuff and cannot be pounded into this stuff no matter how hard I pound. I've had this same trouble in an apartment wall and was able to get a screw through the "stuff". I'm just wondering what is this "stuff" and why can't I penatrate it with a nail...
Ten answers:
renovator
2007-12-21 06:54:42 UTC
as mentioned by several others, you may have metal studs in the wall. that seems to be the most plausible answer to your problem. in any case, do youself a favor and go buy a stud finder. a stud finder will locate studs and also locate any metallic objects and electrical lines. when you encounter resistance like you have, the answer is not "find a bigger hammer". you really need to know what you are driving that sharp oblect into before you continue.
David M
2007-12-21 05:18:03 UTC
Colinc may have hit the nail on the head (pun intended).

I suspect you are hitting either: Electrical conduit, gas line, water/sewage line or an air duct.

In some cases, builders used to put sheet metal or some other semi-rigid cover between two studs in a wall cavity and use that for ventilation ducts. This was the case for my parent's house (built in the late 1800s) as well as my sister (built in the late 1920's).

Does this happen every place you try to place the nail, or is it just one location? Can you access the area above (attic) or below (basement) the wall to see if you have something in that portion of the wall?

Good luck!
?
2016-04-10 14:59:32 UTC
Ceiling first. Use 5/8" sheetrock. Rent a drywall lift. It is worth it, as it will save injury to your back and shoulders. When you rock the walls, screw the sheetrock up laterally, in otherwords, with the long side running perpenticular to the studs. On both the ceiling and the walls, stagger the joints by several feet. If your walls are over eight feet high, hang the top rock, the bottom next and fill in the center last. Use the longest sheetrock that you can get into the rooms - 12 feet is OK, but I like to hang 14 footers. Fewer seams make it easier to mud. Consider using Plus 3 (red, white and blue bucket) from U.S Gypsum. It is creamer and lighter than regular drywall mud. It has minimal shrinkage and sands much easier.
sensible_man
2007-12-21 07:01:40 UTC
I think you are hitting a piece of the electrical wire. Especially true if you are driving the nail right next to a stud. The wire should be stapled to the stud but is allowing a bit of slack which causes the "rubbery" feel.
R P A
2007-12-21 03:34:30 UTC
Your apartment may be built with metal studs. Metal studs are very common on comercial buildings. The metal is rather thin so it might have a bouncy feel.

If you happen to have a magnetic compass and hold it close to the wall the needle will deflect if it comes near a metal stud.
RedMistPete
2007-12-21 03:18:02 UTC
Not sure what a sheet rocked wall is to be honest but can you check with a stud locator to make sure you don't go through anything costly and drill into it with a masonry bit? Then just sse a plug and a screw instead of a nail.
pcbeachrat
2007-12-21 04:40:39 UTC
It is metal studs..I know you mentioned you thought it wasn't..but alot of residential places ahve been using metal studs, especially mass inhabitant places..such as condos, apartments..hotels etc..sorry..but metal studs are the reason
mr. y
2007-12-21 03:17:01 UTC
woodon strips of wood called slats.they used to use them then plaster over them .to save money and time people usually put the sheetrock right over it.the nail will penetrate if you hit it hard enough.
2007-12-21 03:15:27 UTC
It most likely is a gas pipe or electrical conduit. Be afraid!
Megatopsy
2007-12-21 03:15:37 UTC
Concrete?

Edit: I have no idea ^_^;;